Sunday 21 October 2012

Review: All the Broken Pieces by Cindi Madsen

All the Broken Pieces

  
  All The Broken Pieces
  Author: Cindi Madsen
  Publisher: Entangled Teen
  Publication date: December 11th 2012
  My rating: 4.5 Stars

 
What if your life wasn’t your own?

Liv comes out of a coma with no memory of her past and two distinct, warring voices inside her head. Nothing, not even her reflection, seems familiar. As she stumbles through her junior year, the voices get louder, insisting she please the popular group while simultaneously despising them. But when Liv starts hanging around with Spencer, whose own mysterious past also has him on the fringe, life feels complete for the first time in, well, as long as she can remember.

Liv knows the details of the car accident that put her in the coma, but as the voices invade her dreams, and her dreams start feeling like memories, she and Spencer seek out answers. Yet the deeper they dig, the less things make sense. Can Liv rebuild the pieces of her broken past, when it means questioning not just who she is, but what she is?

All the Broken Pieces just blew my mind in a good way, and I loved it!  Cindi Madsen crafted a fascinating and mind bending mystery, and a swoony slow-building romance that left me in a puddle on the floor. 

Olivia wakes up with no memories, tubes in her arm, staples in her head and a scar on her chest.  She has only her parent’s version of what happened, a terrible car accident, and not many details.  What’s more disturbing though, is that she can hear two distinct voices in her head and dreams that don’t make sense, and feel far too real.  Are they really dreams, or could she be remembering events from her past?  Whenever she asks her parents for details, they clam up and get upset and evasive.  Plus, there’s the fact that as soon as she was well enough, they picked up and left Minnesota, and great jobs, and moved to a small town in Arizona.  Now Olivia is faced with starting a new school, making friends, with no idea of who she is or what her past contained. 

Right away she makes friends with Keira, a nice girl, but a follower of the popular crowd.  Olivia would like to make friends, but the voices in her head have conflicting ideas about that.  One side wants to fit in and the other does nothing but mock the in-crowd.  Then there’s Spencer, the cute loner guy with shaggy brown hair and “geek-sheik” glasses who runs hot and cold with her.  One minute he’s helping her and the next he’s insulting.  Yet, he’s the only one she feels she can confide in when her dreams become more frequent, more real, more disturbing.   Olivia feels a growing need to find out what really happened the night of her accident, but can she handle the truth?

This story gripped me from the first pages.  I was riveted by the mystery of Olivia’s accident and loss of memory.  Ms. Madsen did an excellent job of creating the air of suspense around this puzzle and I was anxious to piece it together and solve it.  While some of the aspects may have been a little fantastic to believe, and I pieced together some of it early on, it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the story. 

As everyone knows, I’m a romance junkie and this one did not disappoint.  Ms. Madsen knows how to write a romance!   The dreaded love-triangle and insta-love we see time after time is completely absent!!  *does happy dance*  Spencer comes off as a jerk at first, cautious of Olivia, because she’s hanging out with the popular crowd, and he has a troubled past with them.  But he is a sweetheart:

A car drove by, and Spencer moved her from his left to his right.  “What’s with the switch-up?” Liv asked. “I want to be between you and the street. That way if rocks fly up or whatever . . .”
“You’ll take the hit for me?” She leaned into him. “My hero.”  Tightening the arm he had around her waist, he kissed her forehead.

I’m such a sucker for gestures like that, so it’s no surprise that I was a goner over Spencer.  I had to put him on my ever growing list of book boyfriends! 

The ending, while satisfying was thought provoking.  I’m not sure how this would have worked out if it happened in real-life. 

This is the second story I’ve read by Cindi Madsen and she just gets better and better.   I’ll be picking up whatever she writes next!  




16 comments:

Born Bookish said...

While I'm a little sick of books about waking up with no memories this one sounds like an absolute must read! A swoony slow building romance? Sign me up please! That quote at the end already has me falling in love with Spencer. Great review! I can't wait to check this one out =)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I'm so relieved! I have a review copy and I'm eager to start it, but I've never read anything my Cindi before and I was afraid I wouldn't like it.
I do, however, have a soft spot for memory loss books (I think Thyla is my fave).
I'm especially glad that the romance is so satisfying. Wonderful review, Rachel!

Keertana said...

Wonderful review, Rachel! I still haven't read anything by Cindi Madsen and while I wasn't very intrigued by this one at first, my curiosity has been piqued. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one and I loveee the sound of it, so onto my TBR Pile it goes! :D

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

Great review Rachel. I have to admit that I've seen this book around a bit but I didn't pay too much attention to it. But from your review, I think I'd enjoy it. If you love the romance, I'm sure I will too :)

Unknown said...

Oooh, I am so excited to be reading this book soon. Cindi is such a great writer and I'm expecting great things from AtBP. Your review has me so ready to read. Great job!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rachel! And full disclosure, I totally stole Spencer's change-up move from my now-husband. When we were dating, he moved me to the other side of him so I'd be protected from the street. It was one of those moments that made me think he was the one :)

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

Yay for romances that leave you in a puddle! :) The cover alone makes it look mind-blowing and mysterious--The concept sounds great! I also really love stories with boys who aren't the cliche popular hot one, I think the change will be enjoyable. :) Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I'm so glad to hear this book is free of insta-love and the dreaded triangle. I loved the sound of the romance in this! Great review, Rachel. I can't wait to read it myself now. :)

Rachel said...

Awww how sweet, Cindi! I'm so glad you shared that with us and put it in the book. Tell your husband I said he's a keeper! :)

Aa'Ishah said...

I'm so glad you loved this one! And of course, I love to hear about the romance. ;) So pleased there's no sign of insta-love or love triangle! Brilliant review as always Rachel. :)

Natalie said...

Once again, so excited for this one. Three cheers for no love triangles!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Well this is a new author for me and If you say this is a winner, Rachel, I am all about reading it....I want to meet Spencer, though Malachi from Sanctum is my new fav right now! Have a great week!

Jennifer said...

Cindi is awesome and I've been wanting to read this for so long. It looks amazing and from your review, I want to read it even more. Love the cover for it as well. Great review, Rachel! :)

Anonymous said...

Such a gorgeous review, Rachel! :) I've only vaguely heard of this one but the premise is stunning and your review is just marvelous. :) I love the description of the love interest, as a "geek- sheik", haha. ;) I'm going to add this to my tbr pile asap!

Book Passion for Life said...

Woohoo! I have this one for review and I can't wait to read it now after your glowing review. Thanks hun x

Unknown said...

Great review! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, it sounds really good. I'm really happy that Spencer is great, because blah bookish boyfriends are horrible. And yay for great endings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...