Sunday 28 October 2012

Showcase Sunday #13


Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea. The aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.





Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey
Pink by Lili Wilkinson
Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
In the Woods by Tana French

Thank you Hodder & Stoughton



Severed by Sarah Alderson *there's currently no cover for this at the moment
Stalk Me by Jillian Dodd
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Scheidt

Thank you Sarah Alderson, Jillian Dodd, St. Martin's Press and NetGalley. 

This has to be my best showcase yet; Days of Blood and Starlight and Severed have been on my priority to acquire list forever, so I was on a high when I received both for review. Days of Blood and Starlight did take me a while to get into but I loved being back in the magical world Laini created.

On my shopping trip this week I decided to treat myself, it feels like I haven’t splurged on books in ages and plus this Waterstones I went to was massive, I think maybe four times the size of my local one. I could have probably spent all day in there but I had my sister trailing after me, telling me to hurry up and taking photos of me looking at the books! Sisters hey they just don’t understand our book obsession, so I grabbed Cold Kiss and Pink, books which I’d mean getting to get around to for a while and which my bookstore didn't stock.

I totally succumbed to the peer pressure around me this week, Jasper Jones and Unspoken have been receiving endless praising reviews, and with me being the last to jump on the bandwagon, I thought it was high time I did so. In the woods was a book I hadn’t heard of until Keertana’s review, she described it as a phenomenal and original thriller and so I knew I had to get some of that.

Everneath is another book I’ve been meaning to get around forever, but with work and everything I didn’t know when I could squeeze it in, so I decided to copy Rachel’s idea and get an audiobook instead, which I could listen to and from work. I’ve also never listened to an audiobook before; so if I end up enjoying it will definitely be buying more. (Also what is up with this scary looking cover?).

Over to Rachel to see what she the pretties she received.


For review:


Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse
Devil's Bargain by Rachel Caine
The Hiding Place by David Bell

A big thank you to Mira, Scholastic, NAL Trade, NetGalley and Edelweiss.

Bought:


Losing It by Cora Carmack
The Secret of Ella & Micha by Jessica Sorensen
Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning
Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Borrowed:


First Grave on the Right (Audio CD) by Darynda Jones

A big thank you to Arlene at Winterhaven Books. Audio versions are not cheap!

I’m real excited to read The Hiding Place. It’s an adult mystery and it sounds really good.  I can’t believe Edelweiss actually approved me. They hardly ever do, to the point that I just don’t even request from them anymore. Losing It and The Secret of Ella and Micha are New Adult, a genre I’ve been loving lately. These two have been really popular on Goodreads lately, both self-published titles.  

I’ve been listening to the Fever series on audio, and I have to say it’s addicting! Oh-my-heart Barrons! There’s been a switch in narrator’s from book three to book four and while I love the new Barrons voice (so sexy!!), I’m not loving the new Mac’s voice. The old Mac had a wonderful Southern accent that seemed pretty true to her locale. I have a friend from Atlanta and their accents were very similar. Hopefully, I’ll warm to the new Mac soon. 

Do you have a Showcase Sunday or similar post? We'd love to see the goodies you received, leave us a link and we'll come and check it out.

29 comments:

Nea said...

I'm guessing you've received the second book of FATED?? OMG OMG OMG lucky you!! I LOVED Fated so much!! Enjoy all this awesomeness!!

Sonia said...

AAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Days of Blood & Starlight!!!! I think you're the first person I've seen to get this and YOU LUCKY DUCK! <3 DoSaB was my absolute favourite read of 2011 and I'm beyond excited for the next one :) I'm glad it worked out for you in the end despite the slow start!

And yaaaaay, hope you loved Unspoken! That is definitely going to be on my favourites list for the year :)

Happy reading! <3

Lisseth Torres said...

Yeah I think ur the first to get Days of blood and Starlight; because i haven't seen it anywhere else yet. Also got uses for boys & So far I Like it A LOT!

Rachel: I too got Rockoholic & bought losing it too! I am LOVING Losing it so far. Definitely a good buy.

-Enjoy ur AWESOME books,
Lisseth @ Read-A-holicZ, My StS

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

Jasprit--that haul. THAT HAUL. EPIC. NESS. Seriously, that pile is awesome! I still have to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. :O I can't wait to read your review! I listened to Everneath on audio, but didn't enjoy it very much. I wonder if UK and US narrators are the same?

Rachel--Yay for Rachel Caine's books! I really enjoyed the first couple of Morganville books. I really need to read Miss Moning's books, I know you love them. :)

Great haul this week, ladies! <3

Anonymous said...

Wowza, fabulous haul, ladies! Jasprit, I'm incredibly jealous that you own Days of Blood and Starlight.. And I definitely approve of Unspoken and In the Woods, which were both extraordinary accomplishments. :) Everneath I wasn't much a fan of, but I anticipate your opinion anyways. :) Enjoy your goodies, hon!

Well, well, well, I can CERTAINLY see another sexy Barrons... err, I mean, Fever fan! I hope you enjoy all your books Rachel, and happy reading! The Hiding Place looks really great too, so I look forward to your thoughts of it :)

Keertana said...

SO MUCH AWESOME YOU TWO!

Jasprit, I'm really looking forward to seeing your final thoughts on Days of Blood and Starlight! Only around two more weeks until my copy arrives! :D Cold Kiss is a novel I picked up on my Kindle, so I need to get around to it soon, and Pink is one of the few Aussies my library has, so I need to read that one as well. Everneath was brilliant, by the way, so I hope you enjoy that one! :) I'm thrilled to see that you picked up In the Woods! :D I hope you enjoy it! It can be very slow and dragging in parts, but I think it'll "WOW" you by the end for sure! ;) I'm also SO EXCITED to see you got Unspoken! Now you can join the rest of us in our misery wait for Untold! Also, like you, I'm seriously contemplating buying Jasper Jones - I've been seeing it everywhere! I hope it lives up to the hype!

Rachel, I am SO glad you got Dreamfever and Shadowfever! I loved Dreamfever the best out of the whole series, but Shadowfever was such a remarkable conclusion as well, so you're in for a treat! ;) I need to check out the audio books now that you mention Barron's sexy voice...I'm curious! I'm also really curious to see what you think of First Grave on the Right. I'm planning on picking that one up before Death and the Girl Next Door since reviews for that seem to be mixed and practically everyone loved First Grave on the Right, so I don't see how I can go wrong there. I hope you enjoy it, Rachel! :)

Wonderful haul this week, ladies! I can't wait for all these reviews to trickle in! ;)

Celine said...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! The first thing I saw in the post was DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT. *jumps around* I'm still waiting for my copy (which hopefully will come really soon) but SO GLAD to hear you enjoyed it, Jasprit! And ooo, audibook of Everneath, I can't wait to hear what you think of it Jasprit ;) I really loved Everneath and I hope you will too!

Losing It! I read it quite recently and did enjoy it! I love how the guy is British ;) I've read the first two books in the Fever series so I really need to read the next 3 books soon. Hope you enjoy all the books, Rachel :)

Awesome haul this week, Jasprit and Rachel ♥ Hope you both have a lovely day!

Shirley said...

I hope you enjoy Days of Blood and Starlight<3
AND SEVEREDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!! I aboslutely LOVED it<3 Hope you enjoyyyyy!!

OMGG LOSING IT!! I'm DYING to read that!! OMGG I'm LOVING New Adult nowadays as weell :) Thanks for some awesome recommendations!

Hope you guys enjoy the lovely goodies you received this week<3

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Jas - what an awesome haul! I'm glad you got Pink, I really liked it and I keep hearing good, good things about Unspoken!

Rach - I'm keen to know more about Losing It, and it's good that you're enjoying the audio books.

And thank you so much for the lovely comment today! I feel the same way, I can't read more than I do without cutting back on sleep and I just won't do that, I need 8 hours to be happy! But audio books are a good way to kill some time in the car. And my cats like to try and sit right in front of me or on my chest so I have to hold them and can't hold my book. I think our cats have discussed tactics!

dope said...

LOVE your haul!Really want to read Uses For Boys.Here's mine: http://t.co/7HQVsgbd

tthepageturner said...

I really want to read Losing It because apparently the love interest has a British accent and that alone me sold, lol! *swoons* First Grave on the Right is on my wishlist, it sounds like a funny/sexy kind of read. Hope you enjoy! ^^

iLuvReadingTooMuch said...

Great haul and looks like a ton of reading :P I have Cold Kiss on my shelf, which I should totally get to! and totally NEED to read Uses for Boys... looks so good!! Happy Reading :D

Rabiah @ Confessions of a Readaholic

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

Unspoken & Fated look really good! Happy reading :)

Unknown said...

Great haul, ladies! I can't wait to see what you think of Days. I'm dying to get my hands on that book (Jasprit could witness how much). But it's only a week and so away so I think I can hold off threats for now. Ha-ha.

Have a great week, ladies!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Amazing haul, you two! Jasprit, I'm really excited to see Unspoken made it to your pile! Definitely read that soon, I'm sure you will love it. :) Rachel, you reading all those Fever books has me in the mood to finally make a start on my collection. I think I'll begin sometime next month for sure. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Jasprit, I'm still VERY jealous about Severed. I liked Fated a lot and I can't wait to read more.
Rachel!!! Charley Davidson! OMG I'll keep my fingers crossed the entire time. I love Charley so much, she's what gets me through most of my bad moods, hopefully she'll become the same for you.
Happy reading, my darlings.

Oh, and Cold Kiss is an absolute favorite! Have fun. :)

Jenny said...

You guys both had such amazing weeks this week! Jasprit, I'm DYING for Days of Blood and Starlight, I can't wait to see what you think of it! And Rachel - BARRONS! I'm going to come to this blog and shout out his name in all caps everyday until you're finished with the series, then we can talk all about him and what he is:) LOVE HIM!

Unknown said...

Fantastic haul, ladies! I am so excited to read DoB&S. Uses for Boys is another one I really want. I can't wait to see what you think of Moning's books. I want to start them soon. Enjoy!

Eunice said...

Awesome haul, girls! My god, that's a bunch of amazing reads you got there, Rachel and Jasprit. I'm about to drown. LoL! Jasprit, I hope you enjoy Everneath, I loved that book. Rachel, I just grabbed a copy of Darkfever and I'm really looking forward reading it.

Enjoy all these books, guys! Happy reading. :)

Pragya said...

What? Days of Blood and Starlight!! I WANT THAT! Can you tell me your address coz I am totally gonna steal it. :(

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I am still green with envy over the Laini .taylor book! Oh and so glad you are loving The Fever Series! I can't wait for Iced! Oh and yeah yeah for First Grave! I can't wait for you to listen to that! Have a great week ladies!

Delaney said...

WOAH! Lots of awesome books! :) They look wonderful and Pink looks like a fun book as well as Rockaholic! :) Have a wonderful time reading them allll!

Emma said...

Wow! Jasprit, you got a brilliant haul this week, I would definitely be excited that I received those. Days of Blood and Starlight, I have seen this around and it looks so good, I'll look forward to see what you think. Unfortunately, I'm an only child so I don't have anyone niggling at me when I spend too much time in bookstores. Lol! And if I found a massive Waterstones, I'd in there for AGES! Lol! Everneath is a brilliant book, I loved it, I hope you do to. I can't wait to see what you think! I haven't been keen on audiobooks, I wonder how they compare!? I also got Uses for Boys last week, I have heard mixed reviews about that so I'd be keen to see what we both think! :-) Brilliant haul, I really hope you enjoy them!

Rachel, you some brilliant books, Devil's Bargain, I can't wait toward, I received to see what her writing is like in comparison to Morganville Vampires! :-) I have never heard of the Fever books, but they look and sound so good, I'd better add them to my list! First Grave on the Right is a brilliant book, it was before my blog, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I hope you do too.

Brilliant haul, ladies,

Here's
My SS

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

Jaspirit, I had to laugh about your sister, mine is exactly the same, she doesn't get it at all lol. I can't wait to see what you think of Unspoken, I hope you love it. I've never listened to an audio book either but often think about it for when I'm doing the housework lol. I'll be waiting to see how you find it. Happy reading...and listening :)

Rachel, I have Devil's Bargain too but I haven't read it yet. I didn't realise when I requested it that it was an adult title and I don't always enjoy them, it was the fact that it was written by Rachel Caine that attracted me to it, so I hope I like it. The Hiding Place sounds intriguing too and I also can't wait to read First Grave on the Right, I really enjoyed Darynda's Death and the Girl Next Door so I'm hoping to enjoy her adult series too :) Enjoy all your lovely goodies :)

ellepaulette said...

What a lovely recap for the week! Happy Reading!!! My Sunday Edition @ Paulette’s Papers

Vicky @ A Backpack Full of Adventures said...

I reviewed In The Woods about a month or two ago and I absolutely loved it. It's been one of my favourite books this year and I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

YA Anonymous said...

Dear lord, how many different covers of Jasper Jones are there?? I think that's the 5th one I've seen. Okay, now on to Laini Taylor fangirling... eeeeeee! Very exciting. Also, I'm curious to hear what you think about Pink. It's on my Kindle but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Rachel, I must read about this Barrons people keep talking about. I never thought about the audio versions before but sexy Southern accents? Count me in! I heard about Darynda Jones from Maja too. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Great haul, ladies!

-Maggie

Crystal said...

Woohoo so many awesome books! I am reading Days and I am LOVING it! I am taking my time with it to make it last lol. I am very curious about Uses for Boys so I will be on the look out for your review =) Great week as always ladies!

Jennifer said...

Days of Blood and Starlight has such a beautiful cover. I recently bought book 1 in that series and need to read that.

I also bought Losing It for my kindle a while ago. Need to read that. Jealous over Used for Boys. Can't wait to read your review for that one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...