Thursday 21 February 2013

Review: Rule by Jay Crownover


Rule (Rule, #1)

Rule by Jay Crownover
Publisher: Self-published
Publication date: December 30th 2012
My rating:  4.5 stars 



I had loved Rule Archer since the first moment I ever laid eyes on him. He was everything I shouldn't want and the only person I went out of my way to not try and please. He only saw me as a brat, and an entitled, stuck up princess but worse than that all he saw when he looked at me was his deceased twin's girl. It broke my heart because as much as I had loved Remy Archer there was never anything romantic between us and no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that loving Rule was a terrible idea, my poor heart just wouldn't listen. We tolerated each other, barely and had forged an uneasy alliance until one night I had too much to drink and changed the way we were forever. Suddenly life long secrets were no longer hidden and the one thing I always wanted for myself seemed obtainable as long as I was willing to go through hell to hold onto it.

Shaw Landon was a class act and I had no idea what to do with her. She was tied to my family, tied to the person that was my other half so I tolerated her and her haughty attitude when I didn't have any other choice. What I didn't know was that a short skirt and too many cocktails on her birthday was going to change my outlook on her for the rest of my life. Some people thought I hid behind all my tattoos and piercings, that I tried to distance myself from my dead twin, Shaw saw through it all and wasn't scared of what was underneath. We weren't supposed to be together, weren't supposed to be anything but uncomfortable acquaintances but that all changed in the blink of an eye. Now I had to figure out just how a girl like her and a guy like me were supposed to be in love without destroying each other. Add in her custom made ex and two disapproving sets of parents and the whole situation sounded like it was more trouble then it was worth.


Rule was a story you pick up and don’t want to put down.  I’m always drawn to a story where unrequited love is finally returned, and Shaw has been in love with Rule since she was fourteen.  Adding to the excitement, is a stalker ex boyfriend who won’t take no for an answer.  


I loved Rule like it was my mission in life. I loved him like it was inevitable, like no matter how many times I was shown what an awful idea it was, what a bad match we were, what a callous asshole he could be I couldn’t shake it.


Shaw has been fixture in the Archer family since she was fourteen and Remy took her under his wing, but it’s always been Rule she’s been in love with.  When Remy’s tragic death deals the family a blow, she’s determined to keep them together.   She picks Rule up every Sunday for brunch with the family to make sure he goes. Each time she does, her heart breaks a little more having to witness the string of one night stands paraded in front of her every time. 


Rule has no idea that Shaw has loved him so long.  He always assumed that Remy and Shaw were a couple, so he never paid much attention to her.  Plus, she is the polar opposite to Rule.  He’s all tatted and pierced up and does what he wants, she’s the rich perfect princess always striving to live up to everyone’s expectations.  He’s tortured every week when she picks him up and directs looks of disgust his way.  Add to that misery is having to sit through Sunday brunch with a family that blames him for his brother’s death.  He’s always been the black sheep of the family but Remy’s death has strained their relationship to the breaking point. 

Things get interesting when Rule finally wakes up and notices Shaw.  He knows starting something with her won’t be like his string of skanks.  He knows and has a history with her, so it won’t be a one night stand, but he can’t stay away.  Shaw can’t resist Rule even realizing there’s a strong possibility their relationship will crash and burn, she still can’t help but take the chance.  She’s tired of living safe and doing what her parents expect when they’ve never paid no mind to her. 


Knowing Shaw had feelings for Rule for ages made my heart break for her. I always want unrequited love to get noticed and returned, so it was very satisfying to see this come about.  I loved the passion and intensity both Rule and Shaw showed to each other, and I liked seeing Rule figure out what he was missing all these years.  There were lots of smoking hot scenes and sizzling chemistry that were such fun to read.  Plus, there was suspense that had you clicking through the pages worrying about what would happen next.  That was one crazy ex!  

I’m so glad I picked this up because it was exactly what I was in the mood for.  Now I’m eagerly looking forward to Jet and Ayden’s story. 


23 comments:

Shirley said...

First of all, I LOVE THE GUY'S TATTOOOOOO! AND HE'S PRETTY GOOD-LOOKING<333
Ooohh another New Adult book to add to my list!!! I love sizzling chemistry and unrequited love FINALLY being returned, so I KNOW I'll love this<3 Great review, Rachel :) I need to pick this up soon<3

Charlie said...

I've been tempted to read this for so long!

Keertana said...

I haven't heard of this one before, but like you, I love the unrequited love story line. I'll have to check this one out soon. Great review, Rachel! :D

Anonymous said...

This sounds like kind of story, Rachel. I like the idea of unrequited love stories too! It's great that you felt for the MC because it shows that you had an emotional connection with her. This has also sounds like it has some intense emotions to it.
I'm going to check this one out!
Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Anonymous said...

Whoa, this sounds REALLY interesting. The moment you said "unrequited love" I was intrigued. Thanks for posting this review; I might not have heard of this book otherwise!

Jenny said...

Okay, despite that somewhat uninspiring cover, I really want to read this! Yours is the second glowing review I've seen and since I know you and I are almost always on the same page Rachel, I have to read add this to my list. It's going to have to be behind Dirty Red though, I still need to read that one and the first book. I WILL GET TO IT ASAP so we can have a marathon email chat session like we did with Iced. Win.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

That cover is eye catching... I want a Rule.... I love it when someone is secretly crushing on someone and they finally notice. I am happy you are finding all these indie gems for me Rachel! I am headed over to check this out on Amazon!

Aneeqah said...

Rachel, even if I normally don't read self-published books, I am SO tempted to pick this one up now. It sounds like there are some seriously awesome plot threads woven throughout this one, like the brother death, this creepy stalker dude that sounds so interesting, and of course, the unrequited love. It's surprising that when I think about it, there aren't many unrequited love stories that I can think of. But, surprisingly, it's pretty common in the real world when I think of it.

Fantastic review, Rachel! This romance and book in general just sounds far too great, so I will be definitely be checking this book out. <3

Maji Bookshelf said...

oooh this is definitely interesting!! Unrequited love!!!! Its the first time I hear about this, and it sounds so good!! Fab review Rachel!!
- Farah @ MajiBookshelf

Unknown said...

Oh, Rachel. Why are you doing this to me?!?!? I have resisted this book, mostly b/c is heard the editing is bad and I don't like the cover. I heard it was re-edited and I guess I'll overlook the cover as I head to amazon to buy it.

Great review!

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

This sounds like a great story. I have never heard of it before, but knowing how much you've enjoyed this made me wanna check it out. I like how much Shaw cares about Rule. Thanks, Rachel!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I think all of us had someone like that at one point or another. Ahh, the torture of unrequited love! This sounds like a lovely story, Rachel, not exactly my cup of tea, but you know I step out of my comfort zone occasionally. :)
Great review.

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Like I was said yesterday, I love it when unrequited love is returned! It's almost a little inevitable in books like this, but the journey is the fun part. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this, Rachel! Brilliant review as always.

Livvy said...

This sounds pretty good, I love the idea of unrequited love, it's so heartbreaking, but oddly I like reading about it.

Rule sounds like a real bad boy character who has a soft side underneath, but is that really his name? It's not a nickname or anything?

Great review, Rachel, I'm off to add this to my wishlist! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

T+his sounds like a bittersweet romance! It is so satisfying when unrequited love is returned.
Rule sounds like my kind of guy--I love those hard exteriors that just melt with the one they love.
Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Jennifer said...

I've read some really amazing reviews of this lately. And I love stories of unrequited love and the intricacies of that. Sounds like the main characters are opposites who still fall for each other. Want to read this. Great review and thanks for sharing! :)

Sarah Elizabeth said...

saw this on amazon but wasn't really swayed by the cover. it sounds pretty good though! might have to just grab a copy :)

Aa'Ishah said...

For some reason I dismissed this the first couple of times I saw it and then added it when I saw you were reading it. I love the sound of the romance here, how Rule finally opens his eyes, stops behaving like a jerk and really connects with Shaw. Fab review, Rachel! :)

Katja Weinert said...

I love the sound of Rule, will have to add it to my Goodreads list. Great review, Rachel.

Giselle said...

Ohw ow this sounds like a fantastic read with real, genuine love in the romance! I love these types of books too where it gets you emotionally involved! Fab review, chickie! I hadn't heard of this one before!

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Oh now that's one nice cover there! I haven't seen this book before but you have my attention. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the book and I for sure plan to read it soon. Great review Rachel :)

Unknown said...

I got Rule few days ago, and I'll probably read it sometime this week. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much and I hope I'll enjoy it as much as you did! Great review Rachel!

Unknown said...

I definitely liked this novel though I had my doubts. Rule is likable and Shaw was also...the character names were lame though lol.

Charmaine Smith (Alaska Fishing Lodge)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...