Friday 19 July 2013

Review: Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess

Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess
Publisher: 2nd July 2013
Publication date: St. Martin's Griffin
My rating: 2.5 stars 


Fantastically funny, fresh and utterly relatable, Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess is the first novel in her brand new series about five twenty-something friends—Pia, Angie, Julia, Coco and Madeleine—sharing a brownstone in hip, downtown Brooklyn, and discovering the ups and downs and ins and outs of their “semi-adult” lives. The first story belongs to sophisticated, spoiled, and stylish Pia, who finds herself completely unemployed, unemployable, and broke. So what is a recent grad with an art history degree and an unfortunate history of Facebook topless photos to do? Start a food truck business of course! Pia takes on the surprisingly cutthroat Brooklyn world of hybrid lettuce growers, artisanal yogurt makers and homemade butter producers to start SkinnyWheels—all while dealing with hipster bees, one-night-stands, heartbreak, parental fury, wild parties, revenge, jail, loan sharks, playboys, karaoke, true love, and one adorable pink food truck. And that's without counting her roommates' problems, too. Gemma Burgess has captured the confusion, hilarity and excitement of the post-graduate years against a backdrop of the pressures and chaos of New York City life, with heartfelt empathy, fast humor and sharp honesty. A charming debut series about five twenty-something girls and the humor, heartbreak, and drama that bring them together

Brooklyn Girls was in my eyes a fresh book in a new series which could deliver something different. However I had far too many hang ups that resulted in Brooklyn Girls not leaving the greatest impression with me.

Pia has messed up big time, a photo of her topless and drinking was uploaded to Facebook and now her agency has dropped her. Her parents then rock up with an ultimatum she has eight weeks to sort her life out, otherwise she will be forced to leave Brooklyn and come and stay with them. Pia realises it’s important to finally sort her life out, she loves living in Brooklyn in a great brownstone with four fabulous girls (one who isn’t talking to her, but that’s beside’s the point!). Brooklyn is the place where it’s at and she doesn’t want to leave just because her parents say so, she’s a grown adult!

Half the time Pia didn’t act like an adult and I think that’s the biggest problem I had with her. Some of the decisions she made; borrowing money off a dodgy guy she knew nothing about and not checking with anyone beforehand. If she had confided with any of her flatmates, things could have been a lot simpler. I had a hard time connecting with Pia’s character she was at times a bit rash and didn’t appreciate what she had already. The only characters I really liked were Jules and Coco. I know this was Pia’s story, but if Jules and Coco were given more time to shine; they were nice girls I think I would have appreciated this story more.

Another thing which didn’t work out for me was that Pia eventually found herself in a huge mess with no way out. I actually appreciated this part, as finally something other than Pia and her friends partying and getting off their face was happening. But the issue was resolved far too quickly for my liking. This also again happened afterwards with Pia’s parents. They were quick to back down after making threats for like 2/3 of the book. I don’t mind things getting resolved in a book at all; however I do when it happens far too quickly.

It’s disappointing that I wasn’t able to enjoy Brooklyn Girls, as a lot of my blogger friends found it to be a decent read. This series is set to continue with the next book told from the pov of Angie, but I don’t think I will be continuing any further with this series.


21 comments:

Siiri said...

Seems like it was a bit rushed. There are a lot of things that can either make or break a book and the voice of the MC is definitely one of them. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it that much. It definitely sounds intriguing, but if the MC acts like a brat when she claims to be an adult, that's just frustrating. I hope you have better luck with your next read:)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Sometimes I just know by the look at the cover this book is not for me. I really can't understand characters that are mature by their age and act like a teenagers in their worst period. That's why I avoid chick-lit. Sorry this one disappointed you, but thanks for the honest review!

Jess said...

Oh, I was really surprised to see your rating for this book Jasprit as so many others seemed to have loved it! Part of me likes how it sounds like a different sort of NA but at the same time I'm not drawn into the synopsis, Pia doesn't sound like my kind of character at all. I might check this out eventually but it's not at the top of my TBR! Thanks for the honest review.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Oh, shoot. I've seen either really good, or really poor reviews of this one and, to be honest, I'd probably be among the latter, too. I'm not sure the MC would have spoken to me, and I think I'd really struggle to become invested in a novel because of that alone. Despite the promising premise, I think I'll hold off reading this one. Thanks for the honest, thoughtful review, Jasprit!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

While it sounds really cute, I don't think this one if for me. I can completely see having the same issues as you with this book. Plus, I might have the urge to shake sense into Pia.

Keertana said...

I was really looking forward to this as it seemed as if it was going to become a New Adult novel about friendships and growing up, opposed to romance, so it's a real shame it just wasn't good. I haven't seen any positive reviews for this one, so I'll be skipping it for sure. Lovely review, Jasprit, and thanks for saving me from a disastrous read!

Unknown said...

I loved the sound of it so it's disappointing to see that the main character wasn't enjoyable! Rash and stupid, she's not one I would like to cheer for. Thanks for reviewing this so that now I know not to read it :)

Anonymous said...

I've heard great things about this book, but it's a shame that you didn't enjoy this as much as other readers, Jasprit! Pia sounds like a terrible character and from your review, I can tell that I'm not going to like her one bit. I just don't do well with characters who make poor decisions. It's also a shame that the plot was too rushed.
I'm sorry this didn't work for you, Jasprit, but I hope your next read is better!
Thanks for the great honest review, Jasprit! I'll be removing this from my tbr!

Jenny said...

I think I'll skip this one Jasprit! Pia sounds endlessly frustrating with her rash decisions, characters like her just drive me crazy. Think things through!!!! How hard is that? See, I'm getting worked up already and I haven't even read the first page:) Thanks for your thoughts on this on, definitely not going to be a story for me!

Unknown said...

Your dislike of the character kinda reminds me of Becky Bloomwood (from the Shopaholic series) because she made the absolute dumbest decisions. I can't get on board with characters that are that irrational. I had seen a few other bloggers read and enjoy this one too but I'm thinking I'll be skipping this one. Thanks for the honest review! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

Sorry you didn't like Pia and this story as much as you wanted to, but tahnks for the honest review.

Jenni said...

I actually ended up DNFing this one and this review makes me feel really happy about my decision. The whole thing felt really cheesy to my and I knew I would not connect with Pia at all because she was just so careless. Sorry you had to suffer through this one, I hope your next read is a great one!

Leanna Elle said...

I really liked this one, but I can see how Pia might be an acquired taste! Maybe one of the other characters will work out better for you. Angie's book is up next!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Aw, I was hoping this would be a good one. I might still give it a shot, but thanks for your honest thoughts! I like that the other books will be in different girls' point of views.

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

Aww, this book looks so fun! It's a shame that Pia was an impulsive teenager who lived a little too much. And it's always so annoying when the ending gets resolved so quickly! It's like the author go lazy or something. -__- I've definitely seen 5 star reviews for this one, so I may still check it out. Thanks for the honest review though, Jasprit!

Jennifer said...

This does look like fun. Sorry it didn't live up. The concept was definitely awesome. Thanks for sharing and honest thoughts on this one.

Melanie said...

Not liking the sound of Pia, I don't believe that I'd enjoy this one either- despite the positive reviews I've seen already.

Fantastic and honest review, Jasprit! <33

Amanda said...

Jasprit, your review makes me feel so much better! Not that I'm glad you didn't enjoy it very much - but that now I have some company in my lackluster feelings towards this book. Pia is just not an easy character to relate to or like if her readers are basically her polar opposites, I think. She just makes wayy too many stupid decisions that I had a hard time sympathizing with her at all towards the end. And I agree - the resolution was far too convenient. Oh well. I guess we'll both just have to keep looking for better NA reads!

Unknown said...

I've seen this book around some, but was never especially drawn to it. I'm curious now, b/c I tend to like characters that some don't enjoy.
Thanks for the review, Jasprit.

kit said...

I was looking forward to seeing what this was like (I think it appeals because I have recently started watching 'Girls' and the premise seems broadly similar) - it's a shame the main character wasn't very appealing though, that can be difficult to get past. One to borrow from the library I think, it sounds like it's not quite as good as it promises to be. Great review!

Carina Olsen said...

Thank you for your amazing honest review. <3 This does not sounds like a book for me at all. So I won't ever pick it up :) Sorry you didn't enjoy it, though :\ <3 But thank you for sharing :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...