Monday 22 July 2013

Review: The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)
The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden
Publisher: Fovever
Publication date: December 13th 2012
My rating:  5 stars


For Kayden, suffering in silence was the only way to survive. If he was lucky, he could keep his head down, do as he was told, and make it through the day. But one night it seemed like his luck-and his life-might finally end... until an angel named Callie appeared just in time to rescue him.

Callie has never believed in luck. Not since her twelfth birthday when everything was taken from her. After the worst was over, she locked up her feelings and vowed never to tell anyone what happened. Now, six years later, she continues to struggle with the painful secret that threatens to consume her.

When fate lands Kayden and Callie at the same college, Kayden is determined to get to know the beautiful girl who changed his destiny. Quiet and reserved, Callie still fears letting anyone else into her world. But Kayden is certain that Callie has come back into his life for a reason. And the more he tries to be a part of her life, the more he realizes that, this time, it's Callie who needs to be saved...


My Thoughts:
The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden may sound like your typical New Adult but somehow this was done so much better than most.  The story swept me up and didn’t let me go! It filled my heart with emotions and intensity!

Callie and Kayden have known each other for years, going to the same school.  Their families have even socialized on and off.  But they’ve never traveled in the same social circles with Kayden being the popular high school football quarterback and Callie being the school recluse/freak since she was twelve. However, Callie makes an impression on Kayden when she saves his life. He doesn’t get a chance to thank her because just a few days after, she goes off to college early to attend summer session.  Being gone from her home can’t happen a minute too soon for Callie.  Ever since her twelfth birthday it hasn’t been the normal sanctuary that most homes provide for children. 

Callie doesn’t think she’ll lay eyes on Kayden again after saving him, and she certainly doesn’t expect Kayden would ever think a thing about her. Callie couldn’t be more wrong. Little does she know Kayden has suffered growing up as well, except all his suffering has been hidden, and that one night when she bothered to care is something he’ll never forget.

Like I said, the idea of this story is really nothing new in New Adult category, but it stands out from the rest in execution.  The effects from the traumas that both Callie and Kayden went through felt very authentic.  Ms. Sorensen wrote characters that felt very real and so it was easy to connect to, put myself in their shoes, and root for their happiness!  Their emotions, pain, and new tentative hope come through clearly thanks to the dual POVs. 

When they strike up a friendship in college, knowledge of Kayden’s past pain allows Callie to share her own, and their shared burden makes it easier to bear, cope, and heal.  The romance was timidly and cautiously allowed, and I felt completely appropriate for the situation.  With that being said there were still passionate, intense, and lusty moments to relish:

“No, I don’t like you better this way. I like the sober Callie, the one that I can talk to. The one that is so sweet it’s f**king adorable.” I dip my face forward and breathe on her neck, moving toward the no touching line, but not crossing it. “The one that trembles just from the feel of my breath. The one that I want to kiss and touch so f**king badly it drives me crazy. The one that makes me feel things…”

Anxiousness kept me at the edge of my seat at times.  Callie and Kayden’s traumas are hidden and secret, and others want them to stay that way.  I was nervous and worried over what might happen when and if they came out. 

Fair warning, this does end in a cliffhanger.  I had the second one ready to go so I wasn’t worried.  I also found out that the blurb for The Redemption of Callie and Kayden (book 2) alleviates some concerns, but I wouldn’t read it if you haven’t read the first.  Best of all, the second book releases August 6th, so there’s very little wait time if you decide to read this now. If you have any inclination toward New Adult reads, this is one I would pick up for sure.  I loved it! 








22 comments:

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Like I told you I was afraid that this would be just another typical NA book. Well luckily you have read it and now I know that I must read this series. Callie and Kayden sound like a great characters and I love that quote. Great review Rachel :)

Siiri said...

Yay! I have been in love with this book thanks to the reviews and I know I will love it even now without having read it. I'll pick this one up when the 2nd one is out since I can't bring myself to wait. I have heard that something bad happens and even knowing that doesn't put me off as it usually does. I'm glad that it's the same old, but it isn't bad, vice versa, rather good and really pulled you in emotionally. I hope you'll love (or loved) the 2nd one just as much. OH BTW, I'M SO HAPPY THAT THIEF IS OUT. Whohoo!!! I'll try to read TO and DR asap this week and next week if I can't manage to finish them this week because I need to know what happens to Caleb and Olivia. LOL I just now realized that Captive in the Dark has namesake heroine and 'hero' *__* LOL. I haven't read that one either, but I've heard great things about it. OK, you're probably sleeping already from this rant, I better go. Ha. I'm glad you liked it, babe!

Zed said...

Given the five star review and the sound of this book, I must add it to my emergency TBR pile!

Zed said...

Given the five star review and the sound of this book, I must add it to my emergency TBR pile!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Oh, Rachel, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I've seen a mixed bag of reviews on this one, but it sounds like it's actually really well done. And gosh, that quote is just steamy! Lovely review, doll!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I don't mind typical as long as it keeps my interest and is well written. I agree with Melissa -- definitely a steamy quote!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book too, Rachel, but the cliffhanger almost made me want to throw my e-reader even though I knew it wasn't what it looked like. I agree that this was like every NA, but Jessica Sorenson tackled it in such a beautiful manner that it stood on its own. My heart broke for both Callie and Kayden. They had so much going on, but I was happy that they found each other. I'm eager to read the next book! Thank goodness, it comes out soon!
Love the review, Rachel! :)

Unknown said...

5 Stars! The story sounds engaging and your review is wonderful. Thanks for the cliffhanger warning, Rachel :)

-Dannielle

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I'm glad you liked this! For some reason I didn't fall in love with it as much as others but that cliffhanger left me dying for more so mission accomplished! lol I'm glad it's coming out soon. :)

Jenny said...

Rachel. You're killing me. You need to stop reviewing books, I can't keep up with all the awesome! This story sounds AMAZING and I need it immediately. Except for the cliffhanger, I could wait on that, but I don't think the wait for the next book is too long is it? I have Jessica's other series, The Secret of Ella and Micha, to read, so maybe I'll start with that book and then wait until book 2 of this series is out so I don't give myself an ulcer while waiting. *sigh* Damn you. :)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I guess I need to give this a go. I just am tired of the same old same old story line in the NA genre. I am willing to check it out though if you rate it five stars. Drat that cliffhanger, though!

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to read this one! It sounds great and just overall time-sucking, which I love/hate when a book does that :) Ooh. Cliffhanger, thanks for the warning!

Unknown said...

I read this one not long after it released, and I did like it quite a lot, but not as much as most. I did really feel for Callie and Kayden, and was heart-broken over their stories. That cliffhanger made me so mad! I get it though, it definitely makes me want to read the next book (even though I haven't yet).
So glad you loved this one, Rachel. Great review!

Keertana said...

Rachel, I love that I can count on you to steer me towards the solid NA novels. I'll admit that this does sound rather typical and I avoided it for that reason, but I'm curious now. I love a well-written romance and some NA may be just the thing I need to get lost in. Fantastic review, dear!

Sophia said...

Wonderful review, Rachel! I've definitely heard that Jessica Sorensen is a talented New Adult author. I tried Abbie Glines whom I've heard everyone loves, but could barely stand her writing. (Then again, it was her paranormal book, not a contemporary.) When I'm ready to venture into New Adult again, I think I'll have to check out Jessica Sorensen! This book sounds really adorable and I'm so happy to hear this one was amazing for you, Rachel! I hope you enjoy the sequel just as much (or maybe more)!

brandileigh2003 said...

Oh my, is there a cliffie. I was so mad, and needed to know what happened. You can't leave a reader like that

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Hmm, I wasn't too happy with Ella & Micha, but I was also very distracted by awful errors in the book. Somehow I think I'd enjoy Callie and Kayden more for some reason. I will be giving them a chance so we'll see. :)
But seriously, a cliffhanger? What's up with that?
Thanks for the review, hon.

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Gosh I'm so torn over this book! For every negative review I read, there's a positive one. I really don't know... :D I'm glad to see it impressed you, Rachel! It's great to hear that the author wrote the dual points of view well and that you were as emotionally invested as you could be. Maybe I will give it a go one day then. ;) Lovely review!

Melanie said...

This author has been popping up and around a lot lately. Her books all sound really similar though, so I'm a little iffy about it.

Fab review, chick! <33

Jess said...

This has got to be one of my favourite New Adult books and I can't wait for the sequel to be released next month after that killer cliffhanger that I've been waiting on since January! Gorgeous review, Rachel! Really glad you loved it too! :)

Rachel said...

I love it when seemingly formatic books turn out to be amazing! Terrific review Rachel! I love that you were able to feel deeply for this story! I'm definitely interested in reading this! So glad the next book comes out soon too.

Zaira Lynn said...

Love emotional rollercoasters! This is high on my NA list to check out. I'm okay with ciffhangers if the second book is close to being released. The worst one I can remember is the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. That was a killer.

Zaira Lynn (Skagway)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...