Wednesday 10 July 2013

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Publisher: Bloomsbury UK
Publication date: August 15th 2013.
My rating: 4 stars


An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt. But her heart never wavers. After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes. Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice. Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?  

Crown of Midnight was one of those books which left me in awe. It was full with beautiful passages, scenes which I had been highly anticipating for the last year and parts which had me completely thrown. I had been eager to be reunited once more with our strong kickass MC Celaena ever since she left one heck of a lasting impression with me in Throne of Glass. We find Celaena in Crown of Midnight still upon her arduous task. Despite living in a castle constantly surrounded by people, she really was on her own in trying to accomplish what had to be done. Being under the order of a powerful king and he being able to change her circumstances in an instance, Celaena had to remain strong and try to remain one step ahead of him each time. Her intelligence and quick wit definitely came out strong in this story, but we also got to see a different side to her too. Celaena did have her fair share of heartbreak to deal with in the past, so I fully understood her need to appear strong and show no weaknesses. But I appreciated Maas letting Celeana finally having the guts to let somebody else in. I was so happy the way things went in this novel, but my heart did really go out to the other character that had to watch everything from the side lines.

The three characters, Celaena, Dorian and Chaol really gripped at my heart in this book. Each had their own secrets which they knew if they were ever revealed could break the strong ties between each other. I was so fully invested in each of their lives that with everything going on I knew something could go wrong, but never did I think that Maas would leave us reeling with such an awful blow. I was thoroughly heartbroken, I could appreciate both characters feelings and because I was so immersed with their lives, I found it hugely difficult to carry on with the story at times.

Crown of Midnight was a beautiful read. Books which completely mess with my emotions and leave me a complete wreck afterwards are always books which find a special place in my heart. Maas has done a hugely incredible job with this book that I am truly at a loss for words.  

Fans of Throne of Glass will certainly devour this book right up, it certainly puts a different spin on things from the first book, with it taking a rawer and heartbreaking route but this for me is what stood out for me as the best part. There was also once again non-stop action, and scenes which left you hanging onto your frail nerves in eager anticipation. And those of you who haven’t read this series yet or unsure of giving the second book a try I encourage you to pick this book up right away. It is in my eyes one of the best reads of 2013.


24 comments:

Siiri said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this, sweetie! I have the first book as a paperback (with the gorgeous US cover), but I think I'm going to wait until all the books are out at least in some format so I don't have to wait that long. I find that whenever I read a book as a part of a series and I have to wait for the next book, I most likely won't pick the sequel up since I don't have time to re-read every book and I honestly don't remember half of the stuff that happened in the previous installment. However, I'm glad to hear that the characters are going strong for you and you found yourself extremely invested in their storylines. Lovely, lovely, lovely review!

Melanie said...

I am so close to picking this right up and forgetting about my reviewing schedule- I want more Chaol! I recently finished ToG and it wasn't what I was expecting but decent. I am curious to see if this one gets any better and I have a feeling it does!

Lovely review as always, Jasprit! <33

Vegan YA Nerds said...

It's so good when a sequel is good!! I'm glad you enjoyed this, I'm still a little unsure as to whether or not I should read this series :)

Unknown said...

Read this review through my fingers because I'm starting it at the weekend! I'm glad it was a four star though :D I'm sure the rest of the review is brilliant and will check it out again when I'm finished. Thanks, Jasprit :)

Emma said...

I got myself a Proof copy and I can't wait to read it... I went into Throne of Glass with hesitation as it was hyped. But I absolutely loved it and I think I may need to read it again in order to read Crown of Midnight! And Chaol, totally Team Chaol! Can't wait to see or read about him again... Lovely review Jasprit as always! :)

Keertana said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this sequel, Jasprit! I know I won't be picking it up as I wasn't a fan of the first novel, but I'm really glad this was a worthy follow-up for fans! Lovely review, dear!

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I'm really dying to read this one. I really like Celaena and she is a really good kick-ass character. Also Captain is someone I'm dying to see again. I'm so glad you enjoyed this sequel! Great review Jasprit :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Jasprit! I'm on the fence whether to read this one because I was a bit let down by the first installment, but your review definitely casts it in a positive light! I might have to consider it after all! Wonderful thoughts, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Anonymous said...

Jasprit, your review is so beautiful! I just want to drop the book I'm reading and jump into my ARC of this book.
I'm glad to hear that Celeana is even stronger than the first book and she finally lets someone into her life. I'm so curious as to who it is, but this is one case I would actually be happy with either. Anyways, I can't wait to get to this one, Jasprit!
Lovely review as always!

Jenny said...

"I was so fully invested in each of their lives that with everything going on I knew something could go wrong, but never did I think that Maas would leave us reeling with such an awful blow. I was thoroughly heartbroken, I could appreciate both characters feelings and because I was so immersed with their lives, I found it hugely difficult to carry on with the story at times."

Oh no Jasprit. That doesn't sound good at all! Even though I was the only person in the world (seriously) that didn't LOVE book one, I was still invested in the characters by the end, and the above part of your review has me crazy nervous. I DON'T WANT BAD THINGS TO HAPPEN! Which is silly of course, otherwise the book would likely be dull if everyone was happy every minute of the day, but still, I'm going to have to approach this one with caution! *bites nails*

Fabulous review though!

Carina Olsen said...

Aw, great review. <3 Thank you for sharing sweetie :) I have not read book one yet, but I'm still getting this one ;p Glad you enjoyed it :)
Thank you for commenting on my mailbox last week. <3
Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

Throne of Glass has also left a lasting impression with me! And I'm so excited that this installment sounds just as good if not better!! Can't wait to see what secrets each character is hiding from one another. Brilliant review, Jas!

Rachel said...

Awesome review! I love books where I can feel deeply for everything the main characters go through. Its tough to watch in the "sidelines" when things are going on.

Aneeqah said...

While I love that you really enjoyed this one Jasprit, all the heartbreaking is making me feel nervous! I liked Throne of Glass yet didn't love it, but I think with the more raw emotion that Maas is dealing us in this book, I'll enjoy Crown of Midnight more than ToG. I mean, just hearing about that mean blow she gave to the characters makes me cringe- I can't even imagine what it could possibly be! Also, I can't wait for more Chaol... ;)

Gorgeous review, Jasprit, you've really gotten me excited about this one! <3

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I love seeing a sequel as one of the best 2013 reads! No sophomore slump really gets me even more excited to start a series. Just need to crack open Throne of Glass one of these days. Great review! :)

Maji Bookshelf said...

I realllyyy want to read Throne of Glass!! I'm so glad that you weren't disappointed by this, and it left you in love! Seems like my heart will be broken though! haha! Fantastic review!
- Farah @ MajiBookshelf

Eunice said...

Oh Jasprit! I've been hearing a lot saying that there are definitely heartbreaking moments in this book. I've read the first one and enjoyed it but I'm a little worried with how things will turn out here. And well, I'm on the other Team (again) and it seems like, from the reviews I've seen, things aren't on his favor! Hahaha! I might go wait for the next book before I pick this up. Hehe. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Jasprit. Fantastic review! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

Glad it was beauitfully written and I can't wait to get back in Celeana's head and to read the tension there.

Shirley said...

I put CoM on hold since I had exams and never got back to reading it. However, I think I need to continue this ASAP!!! I'm so glad you loved this & was invested in each of their stories. I'm both curious and anxious about the heartbreaking part! NOOOO CHAOL AND CELAENA NEED TO BE TOGETHER! I DON'T WANT ANY HEARTBREAKS REGARDING THEM!!! hehehe

Fab review, Jasprit!!! I definitely have to finish this soon!<3

Unknown said...

I need to catch up with this series. NEED TO. Love the review and MY GOSH CAN I HAVE IT NOW?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I suppose I'm the only person left on the planet who has yet to read book 1, but the reviews I've seen didn't seem promising and I was never really tempted.
BUT, that's not to say I won't reconsider. I have more time on my hands now, and I'm looking to find new series to love.
Lovely review, Jasprit!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I'm pretty sure I sobbed my way through to the end after THAT scene, but I was so happy with this book overall. I loved the first one, as you know, and really wanted this one to be just as impressive. I completely agree about the characters. I'm not sure that I'd be as invested in this series if it wasn't for Dorian, Chaol and Celaena's interactions. Brilliant review, Jasprit!

Jess said...

I fell in love with Chaol in Throne of Glass both as a love interest and as a character. You have me anxious for my feelings and heart going into this one! I received a copy this week and am hoping to read it this month, thanks for the brilliant review!

Unknown said...

I came here straight after reading Sam's review. And boy, don't you both just make me want to read this book...in a needy way. While I didn't like TOG that much, I'm hoping the emotions you've mentioned do get to me. Great review as always, Jasprit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...