Friday 5 July 2013

Review: Haze by Paula Weston

Haze (The Rephaim #2) by Paula Weston
Publisher: Text Publishing
Publication date: May 22nd 2013.
My rating: 4 stars


"But what if we can’t find Jude?" He leans closer. His breath is warm on my ear. "We will." "How can you be so sure?" I want to believe him so badly, but this is Rafa. The guy who’s all action and no plan. His smile is tired, knowing. An echo of a shared past I don’t remember. "Because I’m not smart enough to give up, and you don’t know how to." Gaby Winters’ nightmares have stopped but she still can’t remember her old life. Still can’t quite believe she is one of the Rephaim—the wingless half-angels who can shift from place to place, country to country, in the blink of an eye. That she was once the Rephaim’s best fighter. That demons exist. That Rafa has stayed. But most of all, she can’t quite believe that her twin brother, Jude, might be alive. And Gaby can’t explain the hesitancy that sidetracks the search for him, infuriates Rafa, and sends them, again, into the darkest danger.

Haze was one of my highly anticipated reads of the year. After devouring Shadows, I just had to be back with these wonderful characters in this majestic world once more. When I found out Haze was going to be pushed back to October in the UK, it took me less than a minute to decide that I needed a copy in my hands right now and so was quick to order my copy from Fishpond. And let me say ordering my copy early was so worth it.

It seems like everything that happened in Shadows happened over a long period of time. But in Haze we soon come to realise that Gaby discovering who she really is and everything kicking off takes place in just one week. If Gaby thought everything has been turned upside its head, things were about to get a lot more crazy. In Shadows we’re left with so many unanswered questions with Gaby not able to remember a single thing before her accident, we’re also kept in the dark about what’s going on. The cryptic vibe still continues strong through Haze, every moment I felt as if I was about to discover something new people started clamming up. I found this at the same time both hugely frustrating as I needed to know the truth especially about Rafa and Gaby before now, but with Weston holding things back from us, I was even more enticed by the story.

The sole search of Jude in Haze is kind of turned on its head for a while. But everything that they had to deal with which turned things on their head was pure brilliance. There was many returning characters from Gaby’s past which made things more confusing for her but also several startling discoveries along the way too. At times I did want to get back on track with Jude, but these small stories which emerged along the way built up epically to the big climax at the end.

It was wonderful being back with such a fantastic set of characters once more. I had grown so fond of Rafa, Gaby, Ez, Zak, Maggie and Jason in Shadows so it was great seeing just how they far had come in Shadows. Especially with Gaby, she was thrown into this truly unbelievable world, but once again she took it in her stride. There was not one thing she would do to discover the truth. Her relationship with Rafa was once again a complicated one, but Weston was able to take it up a whole another notch with the swoon! Their entire relationship was riddled with so many unanswered questions, but it’s like there was a magnetic force field between them that couldn’t keep them apart no matter how hard they tried. Rafa once again easily confirmed why he is one of my favourite fictional crushes; he easily won me over and made my heart melt with his tender moments, but also made me smile with his cocky nature. There are some interesting characters which emerge in Haze and it’s interesting to see how everything will play out and where everyone stands in this epic battle that's still to come.

Haze goes to show just how follow up books should be done. Weston laced Haze with gorgeous settings, with us being taken from one place to another in a whirlwind of shifts. But also a great amount of mystery, romance and non-stop action. The way this series is going so far I know for sure I will be pre-ordering my copy of Shimmer.


18 comments:

Melanie said...

Even though I already commented on your GR review, dnsjfejwisof. THIS BOOK IS A GEM! And I can't wait for the US readers to read this as I saw it on NetGalley today. *flails* the romance is a little splotchy but still full of swoons like you said. >,<

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you seem to enjoy this series a lot, Jasprit! It seems that the follow-up book is just as good as the first. And aaah, I understand the happiness of meeting characters you've grown to love. <3 Especially if one of the characters is your fictional crush. ;)

Amazing review as always, hun! :)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I still haven't read the first book in this series even though I have got it, but I'm planing too as I have the whole summer ahead :) I'm so happy to heard that the sequel didn't disappoint. Great review Jasprit :)

Keertana said...

I have this and am so excited that you enjoyed it! It's always reassuring to know a sequel is done right, so I'm thrilled that this lived up. Great review, Jasprit! I can't wait to get back to more Rafa! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have the first book ever since you wrote your review for it, but I still haven't gotten to it! I fail!
Anyways, I'm happy that this is still going strong for you, Jasprit. I love it when a series continues to be impressive. All the characters just sound really wonderful. I can't wait to meet them, especially this Rafa, fellow! ;)
Lovely review, Jasprit!

brandileigh2003 said...

Great characters and a mesmerizing world sounds great to me. I still need to read the first one though

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I basically requested the first book from Netgalley right now just because you've been so excited about this and said this book was great :)

Jenny said...

Did you review Shadows Jasprit? I can't remember but this series doesn't sound familiar to me, I'll have to go digging through your blog to see if you have. Mystery, romance and non-stop action? Sounds exactly the type of read I love! *runs to look up Shadows*

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Great review! I don't know this series, to be honest, but I'm glad it was worth getting your hands on early! :)

-Lauren

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I don't remember book one at all. I am such a sucker for gorgoue writing. I need to go look up Shadows. Hope you have a great weekend, Jasprit!

Jess said...

Lovely review, Jas! I'm glad it was worth ordering it early! I got an email about this one the other day so I'm hoping proofs will be in fairly soon. Can't wait to be back with these characters!

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

This sounds like a fantastic sequel! I know Shadows won't be out till September in N. America, but seeing how excited you've been with the series, I think I'll have to really look out for the book when September comes. Thanks for sharing, Jas!

Unknown said...

I'm not really familiar with this series, but I recently read another review that has me interested in the series. Rafa sounds fantastic.
Great review, Jasprit!

Shirley said...

Every time someone writes a review full of praise for an Aussie book, my heart swells with pride<3 hahahaa I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a copy of Haze yet (Honestly, I don't think I've seen a single copy in stores here!!) but I'm DYING to read it! Shadows was soooo amazing and I loved all the characters<3 So glad the follow-up is just as incredible as the first<3 Lovely review, Jasprit!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

After going to such lenghts to get a copy (I know how long one must wait to get a book from Fishpond, plus, they're terribly expensive), I'm glad you weren't disappointed.
I just recently got a copy of Shadows from Sam for my birthday and I'm just waiting for my vacation to start in a few days and I'll jump right in.
Wonderful review, hon.

Anonymous said...

You just made me so much more excited to start this book! I can't wait for the sequel.

Nomes said...

so glad you loved this jasprit! i liked it even more than shadows. and i love how describe rafa. i agree - it's those tender moments along with his infuriating side that make him such and enigma: 'Rafa once again easily confirmed why he is one of my favourite fictional crushes; he easily won me over and made my heart melt with his tender moments, but also made me smile with his cocky nature.' perfect <3

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I bought Shadows a few months ago but still have not read it. The reviews have been amazing and seeing how much you liked this sequel has me even more excited to crack it open. I'm glad you didn't need to wait until October!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...