Wednesday 3 July 2013

Review: Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers #1) by J.A. Redmerski

Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1)
Killing Sarai by J.A. Redmerski
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: June 19th 2013.
My rating: 4 stars


Sarai was only fourteen when her mother uprooted her to live in Mexico with a notorious drug lord. Over time she forgot what it was like to live a normal life, but she never let go of her hope to escape the compound where she has been held for the past nine years.

Victor is a cold-blooded assassin who, like Sarai, has known only death and violence since he was a young boy. When Victor arrives at the compound to collect details and payment for a hit, Sarai sees him as her only opportunity for escape. But things don’t go as planned and instead of finding transport back to Tucson, she finds herself free from one dangerous man and caught in the clutches of another.

While on the run, Victor strays from his primal nature as he succumbs to his conscience and resolves to help Sarai. As they grow closer, he finds himself willing to risk everything to keep her alive; even his relationship with his devoted brother and liaison, Niklas, who now like everyone else wants Sarai dead.

As Victor and Sarai slowly build a trust, the differences between them seem to lessen, and an unlikely attraction intensifies. But Victor’s brutal skills and experience may not be enough in the end to save her, as the power she unknowingly holds over him may ultimately be what gets her killed.

This is their story…


I have to say, I was a little nervous picking up Killing Sarai because I’ve read dark stories and I didn’t know if my heart could take it.  It was dark, but thankfully not on the level I was worried over. Sarai was a heroine that took an opportunity and ran, and I was rooting for her the whole way!

Sarai was taken from the US by her mother at age fourteen to go live with a drug lord, Javier, in Mexico. Unfortunately for Sarai, Javier always had his eye out for her:

“I call it a sickening obsession, he calls it love.” -Sarai

For the last nine years she’s been his captive, but when an American assassin, Victor, shows up, Sarai sees this as her ticket out of the compound and stows away, thinking he will help her escape back to the US.  What she doesn’t realize is that Victor has a cold heart, and helping her is not at the top of his list. Victor is calculating and dangerous!!  What Victor doesn’t realize is how much this girl will get under his skin, because it’s a slow undoing for him.  Let’s just say, resistance is futile.  He sees a fearless, kindred spirit in her.  Sarai has been molded by her dark past, just as Victor has by his.  This is the best kind of romance, built slowly, but surely! It was a thrill to read the slow progression and growing attraction.

We are one in the same and I don’t want to imagine being on my own without him. Ever.

Oh, I was on the edge of my seat for most of this story! If I could’ve, I would’ve read this straight through in one sitting.  I was so invested in Sarai and her story of escape and survival! Javier is not about to let her go so easily, and I was biting my nails wondering what would happen next! I was impressed with Sarai and her ability to stay strong and unbroken in the face of so much.

Victor is an intense, complicated, and determined man, so I couldn't wait to discover the chinks in his armor.  We discover that Sarai isn’t his only undoing, but recent events have caused him to question his path in life, as well.

J.A. Redmerski managed to write a thrilling mix of suspense, danger with a forbidden romance thrown in. In other words, everything I love in a story!  This doesn’t leave off on a cliffhanger, but I’m still desperate for book two!








18 comments:

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

Sounds like a great character driven read. Love that

Melanie said...

This sounds like an intense and exhilarating read. I'm bound to enjoy something like this.

Fantastic review, Rachel! <33

Livvy said...

You always manage to pick up books that are exactly the type of romance books I like to read in that they are thrilling and keep you hooked until the end. I'm straight off to get myself a copy of this, because it sounds fabulous Rachel. And I'm glad it wasn't too dark, but dark enough to give you a little thrill!

Lovely review! :-)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I have never seen this book before but I can't believe that I've missed this germ! It sounds exactly like a type of the story I like. With unusual plot and full of emotions. Great review Rachel! :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I've never heard of this one before, but I'm a sucker for dark and twisty books, so I'm definitely intrigued. Regardless of what that might say about me, this one sounds like it's a powerful read, and I like how different it sounds from anything I've ever read before. Wonderful review, Rachel :)

Anonymous said...

I wrote my review for this last night and I can't wait to share it with everyone, but seriously, your review is so perfect, I don't feel like posting mine anymore. There was so much about this book to love. I'll admit I was surprised by how hard I fell for Victor. I'm usually not the reader who falls for the bad guy in books, but good lord, Victor stole my heart as the story went by!
Fabulous review, Rachel! :)

Jess said...

Oooh! I hadn't heard of this one but I LOVED The Edge of Never by this author so this is going straight on my wishlist. It sounds very different but very good! Thanks for the brilliant review!

Aa'Ishah said...

Oooh, this sounds delicious and intense! I love dark books and they tend to be the ones I gravitate towards lol, or at least the more serious ones, and this sounds perfect. I've had my eye on it for a while, so I'll have to read it soon. I love that this is a slow romance and one that has you rooting for them both. Fantastic review, Rachel! :)

Unknown said...

Gaaaaah! So many awesome book reviews appear when I'm on a book ban! For to admit that I love a good dark story and this one sounds like it'll really hook you in. Thanks for the awesome review, Rachel :)

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

This story sounds so intense! J.A. Redmerski is a pretty big NA author, so I am expecting good things from this one. I'm glad to hear that this one was a really nail-biting read and that you couldn't put it down. I'll have to check this one out soon! Thanks for the fabulous review, Rachel!

Leanna Elle said...

I've never heard of this one before. Sounds like a good (if dark) read!

Keertana said...

I'm not sure if I could read this. It sounds very gripping and well-written, but I tend to shy away from books with this subject matter. Still, lovely review, dear!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'd feel the same as you and so I'm thrilled that you liked it so much! It does sound dark, but very gripping and time-sucking so it already has me hooked. Love the review, Rachel!

Rachel said...

Whoa, fantastic review Rachel! I'm now interested in reading this series story. I like tenacious characters so I'm sure I'll like Sarai.

Obsession with Books said...

I have been really curious about this book but I too worried about the darkness so I'm pleased to read your thoughts on this aspect.

The characters and the story sounds intense, I'm definitely now more eager to read it.

A wonderful review! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

This sounds intense and creepy!

Suzanne (Parabooklover) said...

This sounds really good and every review I've seen has been positive. The romance is exactly as I like it, so maybe this is one I should be giving more consideration too. Great review Rachel :)

Jennifer said...

This sounds really different and intense. Awesome review, Rachel. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...