Saturday 27 July 2013

Review: The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

The Summer I Became a Nerd
The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication date: May 7th 2013
My rating: 3 stars


On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.


My Thoughts:
The Summer I Became a Nerd was a cute, flirty, and fun romance.  It’s also about being true to our self no matter what other people think.

Maddie has been scarred by exposing her nerdiness in the past, so she buries love of comics, sci-fi addiction, and love of all things geek.  She puts years of crafting her popular identity by becoming cheerleader and dating the high school quarterback.  All this starts to unravel when she jeopardizes her reputation by going into The Phoenix, a local comic book store in search of the newest release of her favorite comic book series. The anticipation and lusting over its release trumps her fears of being outed as the nerd she is.  Her undoing is Logan, the hot and geeky clerk at The Phoenix who she’s drawn to for all kinds of reasons.  Soon they’re hanging out, gossiping comic stories, and LARPing (Live Action Role Play).  But Maddie wants the best of both worlds and tries to have it by leading a double life and thereby risking everything good about both.

I was a little conflicted over Maddie.  I understand up to a certain point why she was nervous about sharing her love/obsession of things she considered nerdy or unpopular.  But after it became clear over the summer that she LOVED her life without the popular façade, I wondered why she kept sneaking around.  I didn’t like that it took her so long to embrace her true self when popular persona did nothing for her. She did eventually grow up a bit, but still.  On the other hand, I loved Logan!  The minute he slipped on his geeky black rimmed glasses and lent Maddie his comic book, my inner nerd was sold and swooning!  He was sweet and it was easy to see why he’s hurt by Maddie’s bouts of hot and cold.  The gradual build of their romance was sweet and dreamy and gave me a few butterfly flutters in my stomach!

This was a cute, quick, and fun story that put smiles on my face throughout.  It was a welcome change from all the drama filled books I’ve been reading lately!  I would’ve breezed right through it in one sitting had life not gotten in the way.









19 comments:

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Yes, Maddie's fears and general behavior were kind of annoying at times, but overall, this was a great one-sitting read that totally made me feel better, even in this awful heat. And the ending was so implausible and cute at the same time, I loved it. :D
Great review!

Pooja. S said...

Sweet breezy books are the best for the summer! Logan sounds absolutely amazing and it sounds like a really cute book. Great review, Rachel :)

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

Hmm, I think I'll have troubles with this book. I don't like it when people hide their true self, despite the fact that they develop into embracing it later. But the romance doesn't sound too bad :D

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Keertana said...

Oh, this sounds so cute but I have to admit I don't really like the sound of the MC completely. I'd have the same difficulties you did in understanding all her actions, but if I'm in the mood for a summer romance, I'll have to keep this in mind. It seems too sweet to pass up.

Jessica@Booked Up! said...

I haven't heard of this one before, but it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. A cute, flirty read is always welcome on my bookshelf. And like you said, it's always refreshing to escape those heavy, more dramatic novels once and a while and read something fun!

Despite Maddie sounding like she would get on my nerves sometimes, I would still give this a try. (Mainly to meet this Logan character!) Thank you so much for bringing The Summer I Became a Nerd on to my radar by sharing this wonderful review with us, Rachel!

Unknown said...

I think I would be conflicted over Maddie as well because part of me would be like, "Suck it up and live like you want and stop complaining." But the other part would be questioning if I would do the same. And Logan, he sounds so swoon-worthy. Geeks are incredibly cute. Great review, Rachel!

Unknown said...

I really like the premise of TSIBaN. I know it's frustrating that Maddie is so hesitant, but also realistic. Logan sounds like a dream. I'm glad you liked this. Great review!

Rachel said...

There is nothing like reading fun books once in awhile. I like that it shares be yourself message; I would like a character more if they had a good reason to pretend. Wonderful review.

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I do actually like fun and fast reads for the summer, but it really, but really has to be funny and I really have to be in mood for it to enjoy it completely. I like my books with deeper feeling and more tears (mine mostly). I'm glad you enjoyed this over all and you managed to relax and enjoy while reading it. Great review Rachel :)

Unknown said...

This book is on my TBR list! Sounds like a great summer read :)

Christy @ Christy’s Book Addiction

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I think I would have some trouble understanding Maddie too, but Logan sounds like a great character, so I can't wait to meet him. I'm glad you enjoyed this overall, Rachel! Brilliant review as always! :)

Jen (Books and Other Happy Ever Afters) said...

I've been meaning to read this one, because it just sounds too cute to pass up! I can see how Maddie may be a bit annoying at first, caring so much about what other people think of her. Logan sounds like a great love interest! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, wonderful reciew, Rachel!

Jenny said...

This sounds so cute Rachel! The fact that Maddie hides what makes her happy for so long would definitely be frustrating, but Logan sounds like a complete and utter winner. Gotta love a nerdy boy!

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Fun reads like this are great once in awhile! Logan sounds like someone I'd like too! :)

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

This one sounds fun and sweet :) I'll have to read it to find out if I could understand Maddie's logic about what's popular vs unpopular. Lovely review, Rachel!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I read your review yesterday and forgot to comment. I really enjoyed this one and yes I know what you mean about Maddie she was a struggle but it ended up winning me over because it was just sweet and fun just what I needed at the time.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I think that, with a book like this, we know we're not really in for epicness, but it still sounds sweet, fun and engaging. What more can we ask for really? Wonderful review, Rachel!

brandileigh2003 said...

Cute, flirty and fun sounds great, I want to get ahold of this one soon

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» said...

I have been meaning to read this for a while now and I think I am definitely going to pick this up! Despite Maddie's character flaw, I really like the sound of the story, Logan and just in general the cute type of story. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Rachel! Great review! :D

~ Maida
Literary Love Affair 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...