Wednesday 4 June 2014

Mini Review: The Story Guy by Mary Ann Rivers

The Story Guy by Mary Ann Rivers
Publisher: Loveswept
Publication date: July 8th 2013
My rating:  3.5 stars
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18136549-it-happened-one-wedding
In this eBook original novella, Mary Ann Rivers introduces a soulful and sexy tale of courage, sacrifice, and love.

I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only.

Carrie West is happy with her life... isn’t she? But when she sees this provocative online ad, the thirtysomething librarian can’t help but be tempted. After all, the photo of the anonymous poster is far too attractive to ignore. And when Wednesday finally arrives, it brings a first kiss that’s hotter than any she’s ever imagined.

Brian Newburgh is an attorney, but there’s more to his life... that he won't share with Carrie. Determined to have more than just Wednesdays, Carrie embarks on a quest to learn Brian’s story, certain that he will be worth the cost. But is she ready to gamble her heart on a man who just might be The One... even though she has no idea how their love story will end?

Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from the Loveswept title Flirting with Disaster.



My Thoughts:
The Story Guy was a beautifully written, wistful romance in 120 short pages.

Carrie is in her middle thirties and mostly happy with her life with nice parents and friends and a job at the library she loves, but she’s a little lonely.  Carrie’s struck out with the professional dating websites that matched her up men that seem more like stylized versions of real people. But she hasn’t been actively looking for a relationship.  Surfing the MetroLink personals is an late night addiction full of a wide range of very different ads, nothing like you would see on a professional dating site, more gritty, honest, what “men might really be thinking and never say” and this is where she’s sees Brian’s ad and photo. She’s immediately intrigued:

“I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only. I won’t touch you below the shoulders. You can touch me anywhere. No dating, no hookups.”

Carrie meets up with Brian and has the most incredible, passionate, lusty kisses she has ever had, and they get along well, too. They seem to just click, but anytime Carrie tries dig or ask for more, Brian immediately shuts down. 

As a reader I had a pretty good general idea of what was going on with Brian and when I found out the story, I couldn’t really blame him for trying to keeping things simple and unattached.  Still, Carrie is in a tricky situation, because if you really care about someone how can you stand it if they won’t let you in? Not to worry though, this is a romance after all.

This story was emotional and moving with a dose of sad reality, but it was also very steamy. Mary Ann Rivers’ writing was sensual and beautiful, and I look forward to picking up more of her work soon.  





Connect with Mary Ann Rivers:

9 comments:

Keertana said...

I didn't think I'd like this one, but it wound up being so much more than the surface story. I truly loved it and have enjoyed all of Rivers works, so I'm glad you liked this one too, Rachel! It's such a fantastic introduction to her writing and style. :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I don't like reality. Can we ditch that and keep the steamy?

Brandie said...

I'm excited to read this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review.

Emma said...

This sounds like a really simple and moving romance in such a short amount of pages. Its a different sort or romatic plotline that I think I will enjoy. I think I can understand and relate a bit to Brain's character as well. Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Rashika said...

I loved this one so much and I am glad to see you enjoyed it too! It's short and for such a short story, I feel like it definitely packs a lot of emotions into it.

Lovely review, Rachel! :)

Rashika @ The Social Potato

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Uh uh... A dose of sad reality. I think I have feeling where this one goes. The passionate kisses sound great though.

The Bookish Manicurist said...

Ooh, very intriguing!

Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

Unknown said...

I loved The Story Guy so hard. I think it's my favorite of Rivers's books. I'm really glad you liked it, Rachel!

Unknown said...

oh man... now I want to know what's going on with him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...