Tuesday 3 February 2015

Review: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Publication Date: February 3rd 2015.
My rating: 3.5 stars. 


If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line. Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.

For the past few months I have read several glowing reviews for Demetrios’ work. And now finally after reading I’ll Meet you There. I can see what all the hype is about. Demetrios’ writing is absolutely gorgeous. She is able to weave a story of heartbreak and hope so well that I had a hard time keeping my emotions in check. 

The famous Josh Mitchell had returned from serving as a marine in Afghanistan, Skylar had worked with him at the hotel Paradise before he left, so was interested in when she had heard he had returned. However when she saw Josh, she didn’t expect to see what she saw. But Skylar being Skylar took it all in her stride and didn’t treat Josh differently because of it. It definitely had a huge impact on Josh’s character, before Josh was known to be a ladies’ man, he could easily charm anyone, but after his return you could say his confidence took a bit of a knock and Josh didn’t really know who he was, he had lost a lot in Afghanistan, so it was a massive step taking one day at a time. Skylar too thought she had it planned out, she would finally be leaving for San Francisco, she was tired of being cooped up in this town. But then things hit the fan and Skylar didn’t know what to do either. Skylar and Josh end up being two lost people that end up helping one another when they least expect to. Skylar has great friends in Dylan and Chris, but Josh seems to get her and ends up being there for her when she needs it the most. 

I loved the slow build up of Josh and Sky’s relationship, I was at first really wary about Josh’s character, especially what I’d heard of what he was like before. But I loved getting into Josh’s head and learning and understanding about his character. For Sky it was a tough at times getting through to him, but I’m glad that she didn’t give up on him. The build up of their relationship of course wasn’t without obstacles; I did hate it when one particular event did take place and also the constant Josh mood switching. But slowly Josh was able to chip away at these feelings of disappointment that I had formed against him. I was kind of annoyed by how things went down, but in the end I think it was important for both Sky and Josh’s character development. 

Josh and Sky’s character did have a huge impact on me, but Demetrios’ was able to include a great set of secondary characters which I ended up adoring too; Dylan, Chris and Marge. Dylan and Chris were like the two best friends a girl could ever ask for; they had their own stuff going on too, but would drop everything to be there for Sky. They were also great in livening up a scene with their bubbly personalities. And Marge was just an awesome motherly figure dishing out advice to Sky and Josh when they needed it the most. 

Although I didn’t end up enjoying I’ll Meet you There as much as I’d hoped, it still was a beautiful story that I’m glad I gave a go. It has certainly given me the encouragement to pick up more of Demetrios’ books up soon.






15 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Great review Jasprit. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book a lot :) I.. had tons of issues with it, so I don't agree with most of what you say, lol :p but I do love reading different opinions about it :D Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie. <3

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you were unable to love it as much as I did, but I completely understand how some of these events might have put you off. Josh is a complicated character and there were times when I was ready to seriously punch him in the face, but I had to remind myself of what he was going through. Still, I'm happy that you loved the slow build up in their relationship. That was my favorite part of it all! :)
I think you should check out Something Real by the author if you haven't! It's much better suited for you and Patrick is super swoony! :)
Lovely review, Jasprit and I can't wait to read Royal Wedding with you today! :)

LisaFicTalk said...

I really wanted to start this before it came out as I had heard such good things about it. Even now on its release day I'm seeing such high ratings and love for this author and her story. Will hopefully pick it up soon. Great review, Jas!

Leanna Elle said...

Oh, I was hoping for better things from this one as I've seen a number of glowing reviews. The writing sounds gorgeous,though, and I do love a slow burn romance!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I felt the same way. I liked it but I wasn't in love with it. It lacked orginiality and I felt like had read it before.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

It's great that you can still appreciate a book and its writing even if you weren't in LOVE with the book.

Keertana said...

I didn't love this book either, Jasprit, though I think I liked it more than you did. I'm so glad this story still made an impact on you, though, because it's such an important one, I feel, and so well-told as well. Gorgeous, review, dear, and it's refreshing to see this from the perspective of someone who appreciated the tale but didn't fall head-over-heels for it.

brandileigh2003 said...

The slow building romance sounds great and I love me a marine

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't love this one, girl! Sometimes expectations can be killer. :/ But at least you didn't hate it and found things to enjoy. Heather's writing is just stunning, isn't it?
Great review, and thanks for being honest! Hopefully our buddy read of Chasing Mermaids will go better. :D

Joy said...

This is one of those can't-wait-to-read books for me. Though, I'm a bit wary now after reading your review. I hope I'll enjoy it a bit more. I really am curious about how Josh was able to cope.

Jenny said...

"I did hate it when one particular event did take place"

I'm guessing it was the same event I hated toward the end Jasprit! Usually something like that is a complete deal-breaker for me, something unforgivable that I just can't move past, but in the context of this story I understood it, and I loved how Sky handled it. Her reaction made it better for me because it felt genuine:) Sorry this didn't blow you away as much as you wanted it to, but I'm glad you enjoyed it overall!

Rachel said...

Sorry you didn't like this one as much, but at least we agree on how great the characters are! It was definitely a beautiful story. Lovely review :)

The Readdicts said...

I've been looking forward to reading this book, so I only just skimmed through your review. I must say thta I am a little disappointed as you didn't liked this as much as you have loved to like it. But then again, that's understandable. I may still give this a try, and I only hope I like it just about enough. Really nice review, Jasprit!

Sarika @ The Readdicts

The Readdicts said...

Ugh, typos! Quite a few too...

*that
as much as you *would have loved...

Christina Reads YA said...

"For the past few months I have read several glowing reviews for Demetrios’ work.
-- ME TOO. Which is why I'm now checking your review. She's getting a ton of praise for her contemporary work.

"after his return you could say his confidence took a bit of a knock" -- interesting, now I'm really curious based off your synopsis what he returned like. Scarred? Worse?

"Skylar and Josh end up being two lost people that end up helping one another when they least expect to." -- I like that Skylar has friends, but I also must admit to really, really falling for this trope in romance if done right, which it sounds like this one was?

"I loved the slow build up of Josh and Sky’s relationship, I was at first really wary about Josh’s character, especially what I’d heard of what he was like before." -- Yeah, if there's anything that's pushing me a bit away from this story it's the fact that's got that Ladies's Man x (is she inexperienced?) girl.

"The build up of their relationship of course wasn’t without obstacles; I did hate it when one particular event did take place and also the constant Josh mood switching." -- Hmm, now I'm wondering if there's some sort of cheating that takes place... this mysterious event. Also, noooo moodiness is the worst!

"Josh and Sky’s character did have a huge impact on me, but Demetrios’ was able to include a great set of secondary characters which I ended up adoring too" -- I've heard this before. The secondary cast is so important to romances, in case you end up not entirely being a fan of one part of the couple. I take it then you might have also liked the small town vibe?

:D :D I hope you'll enjoy the other Demetrios books you read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...