Wednesday 25 November 2015

Mini review: Queen Song by Victoria Aveyard

Queen Song (Red Queen 0.1) by Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: September 1st 2015.
My rating: 4 stars.


Queen Coriane, first wife of King Tiberias, keeps a secret diary—how else can she ensure that no one at the palace will use her thoughts against her? Coriane recounts her heady courtship with the crown prince, the birth of a new prince, Cal, and the potentially deadly challenges that lay ahead for her in royal life.

I normally don’t do novellas especially novellas set before the actual main book, but being such a big fan of Red Queen, I really couldn’t wait to get a back story to the characters I’ve been introduced to in Red Queen. Once I started Queen Song I hadn’t realised how much I had forgotten, and because of that it took me a while to realise what was about to go down and so I didn’t want it to happen.

I loved learning about Cal’s mum’s Coriane’s back story and how she came from a poor family and was chosen to be the prince’s wife. Coriane was such a sweet individual, after spending more and more time with the Tibe, still clueless to what he felt about her, never once believing that someone like Tibe could fall in love with her, when there were so many other ladies that potentially had more to offer. Tibe and Coriane made a sweet couple, in the 100 pages we were given I loved watching their romance unfold. But there was so much heartache along the way that they had to deal with and because I couldn’t remember a lot from Red Queen I totally forgot who was behind it all, I even believed she was innocent when she was accused of being behind it all. I loved all the love and hope that Coriane had for her son Cal and how it came through her diary entries, she wasn’t one of those characters who hid her feelings, her sadness and worries were clearly apparent in entries she made, that I’m grateful we got to know Coriane’s character in this beautiful novella.





11 comments:

Lekeisha said...

I enjoyed this one too and gave it 3.5 stars. I'm just ready for book 2 to come because the suspense is killing me. Nice review!

Joy said...

Gosh. I can't seem to remember much about this novel (apart from not enjoying it as much). I'm glad this novella shed some perspective to make you love it even more, Jas!

Anonymous said...

I don't like novellas either but I'm curious about this one since I did really enjoy the first book. I want to know more about his mom too.
Great review, Jasprit!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I'm not really a fan of novellas either, but like you, I really enjoyed Red Queen. I must have forgotten quite a bit, too, so I should probably refresh my memory before reading this.

Rashika said...

I usually don't do novellas either but I am definitely curious about Cal's mom after reading your review! I also just really want Glass Sword to be here... IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR, JAS? TELL ME. Okay I'll stop being dramatic. BYEEEEE
nice to meet you.

Lovely review, hon <3

brandileigh2003 said...

She does sound like a sweet main character

Unknown said...

Amazing post! You have a wonderful blog:)
What about following each other on Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter?.. :)

www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191

Carina Olsen said...

Gorgeous review Jasprit :D I'm glad you liked this short story a lot. <3 It sounds interesting :D Sadly, book one was a three star for me.. and I have no interest in this short at all, lol :D But you are making me curious. <3 Thank you for sharing about it sweetie :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I'm glad you gave this one a chance and really enjoyed it! I tend to forget what books even have novellas to be honest, since you can't usually get them except online. haha My sister has The Red Queen to read, so hopefully she can do so soon!

-Lauren

Jenny said...

Ah! I definitely need to read this Jasprit, I want to know more about Cal's mom, even though it's going to be painful as you said since we know the outcome. I've forgotten somethings about Red Queen too, so this will help jog my memory as I wait for the next book to come out!!!!

The Readdicts said...

I have been hearing so much about Red Queen, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm glad that this novella was well done and that you liked it! Great review, Jas!

Sarika @ The Readdicts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...